I was scouring over the recipes on the Thermomix Recipe Community (when I should be writing reports….I know) when I came across something that looks easy, yummy and perfect for work – “Finger Buns”.
I like to try and find ways to make the food we eat more organic and less processed, so thought I would have a go at making these little beauties before I sat down to write reports.
I never thought I would be someone who would go organic in my food choices when I can. I have always thought the whole “organic vs. sprayed” food debate was a bunch of baloney…..but now after researching it myself, I get it. Not everything hubby and I eat is organic – no way! – but we try and substitute when we can. BUT I definitely steer well away from Genetic Modified Foods…that is just plain freaky!
As you read through this recipe, you will see things got a little runny – mixture and icing – so I just kept adding bits and pieces until it thickened up. That is the way I cook…a bit left-field🙂
Buns –I had to add more SRF to the mixture as it was too runny. I am told by my taste-testers that this is the BEST dough recipe ever. “Tastes just like damper”.
- 280g organic self raising flour
- 30g homemade butter
- 50g sultanas
- 30g organic raw sugar
- 170g raw milk
- 1 backyard egg
Sweat Topping (Yep, I had to reread too – sweat, not sweet)
- 2 tbs hot water
- 2 tbs castor sugar (ground up in TM from organic raw sugar)
Icing Sugar – a bit too runny, so put it in the fridge to set. It was the water content of the strawberries I bet!
- 140g icing sugar (made the same way as castor sugar)
- Some fresh strawberries and a touch of strawberry essence (recipe says a drop of pink colouring instead of both of these)
- 1 tbs hot water
- 1 tbs homemade butter
1. Preheat oven to 220C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
2. Add SRF to TM 4 sec/sp 8. Add butter 8 sec/sp6. Add sultana’s & castor sugar & mix REVERSE 10sec/speed 2.5
3. Remove MC & place a tall empty cup ontop of TM lid. Clear the scale. Add milk & egg into cup.
4. Place TM on REVERSE 15 sec/sp5, while adding milk & egg mixture through the lid hole. Do not over-mix.
5. Knead for 30 sec/Interval sp. 6. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Break into 10 even sized pieces & shape into oval finger bun shapes (smaller is better).
7. Place buns close together on baking paper & brush top lightly with milk. Bake for 12-15 mins until very light brown.
1. Combine water & castor sugar in a small cup. Brush over hot buns & allow to cool on a wire rack.
1. Combined icing sugar, water & butter. Either in a small bowl or in TM with the BUTTERFLY 5 sec/sp 4
2. Add the pureed strawberries (or food colouring) & mix for a further 3 sec/sp 4 with BUTTERFLY.
3. Spread mixture on buns & serve with homemade butter
I strangely didn’t take a photo of the finished product because….well….I forgot. They got wrapped up and ready for lunches. You can use your imagination though. They got the big thumbs up from husband!